Friday 30 September 2011

Sentiment or Sentimentallity

I have been on this earth for almost 48 years now, and 'your stone gathers some moss' over that time.  In the summer I took the majority of my male clothes to a car boot sale but I did keep some jeans and the like for gardening, changeing the oil in the cars etc etc.  But other things are hard to part with.  I still have, for example, the cufflinks in the form of pen nibs which I wore for my marriage and the silver and lapis cufflinks my wife bought me shortly thereafter when we had very little money.  I can't see myself ever wearing them again but give them away?  How could I?

And then there is the horrendously expensive 100% cashmere man's overcoat from Gieves and Hawkes I bought a few years ago.  It is still smart, lovely, light and wonderfully warm.  Fortunately my tailor has come to the rescue and is recutting it into a female shape rather than the straight up and down it was before. Hmmm.  Maybe there's an answer to the cufflinks problem in there.  what female jewellery could I make from the cufflinks?

Next problem is the entirely unflashy but utterly, utterly relaible Rolex watch I have worn for the almost 30 years since I was 18.  It and I have done so many court cases and other things together over the years that I miss it dreadfully....  Now it is left behind when I head off to court and I feel sorry for it (me?) in not taking it along.

What is the answer?  I really don't know.  What do you think?

Robin

1 comment:

Nat said...

Make earrings from the cufflinks! And maybe a watch brooch from the rolex? Ok maybe that wouldn't be so elegant...and a nice new watch may take your mind off missing it! But if you want to wear it, why not? It won't make you less of a woman.