Wednesday 15 June 2011

A first, a truth and a start....

Well now, yesterday was a busy day.  Lets start with the 'first'.  I was supposed to be travelling to Watford to conduct a court case on Wed, Thu and Fri but that settled during the morning, and all I had to go into London for was my seconde speech therapy session (of which more later) and to deliver and collect some papers at work.  I started to change out of my nice summery dress but just could not face trousers so decided not to and headed down to the station in a summer dress (which looks rather like it has been made out of a deck-chair) and jacket.  And so I found myself in work at the end of the day as my female self.  Virtually everyone had gone home by then but the stallwart few were left and the world did not fall apart.  I am back in Dorset today, so I wonder at the chat in the office....

The 'truth' is that the world is rather larger from a female perspective.  I live about a seven or eight minute walk from my local railway station.  Or at least, it is 7-8 minutes as a man.  In heels, even fairly sensible wedges, I find that I need to allow a few minutes more.  Work is about a 20 minute walk from Waterloo in London and yesterday evening a building being refurbished along the route caught fire and the roads were closed to vehicle traffic, including buses, so I had to walk.  The normal 20 minutes took me 30 in heels and I missed my hourly train back to Dorset.  I will have to alter my 'mental maps' of the world.

And the start?  Well, at the speech therapy session the therapist started me on controlling breath and doing groundwork for increasing pitch with a trick involving blowing through a straw and humming at the same time.  If this sounds rather like rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time, then that's what it feels like at the moment.  I have to do 20 repeats of this three times a day and apparently it will beging to come naturally and is the basis for what we are to do in future.  If you see a carefully dressed woman on the train to London in future, humming tunelessly through a straw, it might be me......

lol

Moira

No comments: